SubjectRe: no entropy and no output at /dev/random (quick question)
Andreas Steinmetz wrote:
> Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
>> I doubt that timer and eth* are a non-predictable source. As such,
>> they should
>> not contribute to the entropy. Better is the keyboard and/or mouse.
>> SSH traffic
>> is network traffic, and if you send it to a network card, you can
>> expect an
>> interrupt at <time>... prdictable.
>

> Timer, ok. But network - only if you are in full control of the network
> segment the system is attached to which may be the case for your private
> network but usually you can't predict what network traffic is actually
> going on.
I'm in control of "one" of the network segments, the other is connected
to the internet which is a bad source of entropy I know, so I've enabled
the SA_SAMPLE_RANDOM in the request_irq() call just for my local lan
nic, but the "other" source of good entropy should be the DAC(RAID)
controller, right?, I was just curious about why this driver didn't had
this flag enabled in its request_irq call.

--

Javier Villavicencio
Administrador/Consultor