SubjectRe: scheduler BUGON lifespan

* Darren Hart <dvhltc@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I submitted a patch to active_load_balance() that was accepted into mm
> and then mainline. The patch included a fix to prevent the system
> entering what should have been an impossible state. The previous code
> tested for it and then continued, rather than crashing or complaining.
> My patch added a BUGON(impossible state) just in case by some fluke it
> still happened. How long should this BUGON remain in the kernel? A
> month, a year? Is there an accepted duration for such safety nets?

it's pretty random how long it survives. Sometimes i remove one after
never having seen it for months/years and grepping lkml and googling
around for the file & line. The BUG_ON()s are pretty cheap, as they
often check what is being fetched anyway.

Ingo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.205 / U:0.036 seconds]