    SubjectRe: raid1 oops in 2.6.9 (debian package 2.6.9-1-686-smp)
    On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 02:28:41PM +0000, Robert Murray wrote:
    > Hi
    > The complete console log can be found at
    > hde is a failed drive. In this log, hdg (the other drive in the raid1
    > array) is not present. This oops also occurs when hdg is present. I
    > don't know why it tries to use hde when it has been failed for some
    > time now. This doesn't occur with 2.6.8 (also a debian kernel). I
    > don't have a log of the oops when hdg was present, but I can provide
    > one if necessary.
    > Please let me know if there is any other information I can provide to
    > help to debug this. For now I have removed hde and everything is
    > working fine.

    On a second note: Could someone please provide an explanation of why
    the raid10 driver exists? People have created RAID-10 sets for years
    using the RAID-0 driver on top of several RAID-1 arrays - this works
    beautifully, it's simple, and it's easy to explain to people.

    Why oh why, do we need raid10 ?

    (I don't mean to bitch and moan over it - I just assume that there is a
    good reason for it which was somehow never conveyed, or that I
    overlooked in my search for this explanation)

    And; if raid10 does not provide new functionality that was not possible
    with raid1 + raid0, why oh why does this get accepted in a stable kernel
    series? (ok, 2.6 is not stable, but I assume the intention is to make
    it stable eventually, and accepting new functionality does not help this
    process - all in all I do not understand the raid10 submission at all,
    but I hope to be enlightened by someone (Neil?))

    Also, I'd love to add a mention of raid10 in the HOWTO, but I need to
    know why raid10 even exists before I can reasonably do that.

    / jakob "baffled Software-RAID HOWTO co-author"

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.036 / U:0.068 seconds]