SubjectRe: [PPC64] Tweaks to ppc64 cpu sysfs information
On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 08:58:11AM +1100, Paul 'Rusty' Russell wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 14:59 +1100, David Gibson wrote:
> > Andrew, please apply:
> >
> > Currently the ppc64 sysfs code registers an entry for each possible
> > cpu in sysfs, rather than just online cpus. That makes sense, since
> > the sysfs entries are needed to control onlining of the cpus.
> > However, this is done even if CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU is not set, or if it
> > is not a hotplug capable (DLPAR) machine, which is a bit misleading.
> > Secondly it also registers all the other sysfs entries (mostly
> > performance monitoring controls) on all possible cpus, although they
> > are quite meaningless on non-online cpus.
>
> Surely if !CONFIG_HOTPLUG_CPU, then online == possible? If not, it
> should be. That would solve part of the problem.

No, it's not. Yes, it probably should be. I thought about, but
wasn't sure what other consequences that might have. I figured my
patch would definitely fix some things, and there's actually less
overlap with setting online==possible than you might think, partly
because my patch will do the right thing if we ever have systems with
some CPUs on/offlineable and others not.

--
David Gibson | I'll have my music baroque, and my code
david AT gibson.dropbear.id.au | minimalist. NOT _the_ _other_ _way_
http://www.ozlabs.org/people/dgibson