    SubjectRe: [RFC] Splitting kernel headers and deprecating __KERNEL__
    Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Sünnavend 27 November 2004 18:16, you wrote:
    >>On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 08:47 -0800, Randy.Dunlap wrote:
    >>>Speaking of more explicit, there are various asm-ARCH header
    >>>files that do or do not hide (via __KERNEL__) interfaces
    >>>such as: get_unaligned()
    >>>and the atomic operations.
    >>>So are these Linux kernel exported APIs, or do they belong
    >>>in some library?
    >>Both of those are kernel-private and should not be visible.
    > The problem with these (atomic.h, bitops.h, byteorder.h, div64.h,
    > list.h, spinlock.h, unaligned.h and xor.h) is that they provide
    > functionality that is needed by many user application but not
    > provided by the compiler or libc.
    > While I agree that it is an absolutely evil concept to include
    > them from the kernel headers, we have to face that by not installing
    > them, lots of this existing evil user code will be broken even
    > more and someone has to pick up the pieces.

    That's addressing a different problem. I agree with
    David W. that we need to clean the kernel headers up.
    Let libc or libxyz provide the missing functionality.
    The borken programs were stealing something that wasn't
    promised to them AFAIK.

    IOW, let's decide the right thing to do and implement it.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.023 / U:42.924 seconds]