    SubjectRe: Suspend 2 merge: 10/51: Exports for suspend built as modules.
    Hi.

    On Thu, 2004-11-25 at 00:12, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    > > /*
    > > * Platforms implementing 32 bit compatibility ioctl handlers in
    > > - * modules need this exported
    > > + * modules need this exported. So does Suspend2 (when made as
    > > + * modules), so the export_symbol is now unconditional.
    > > */
    > > -#ifdef CONFIG_COMPAT
    > > EXPORT_SYMBOL(sys_ioctl);
    > > -#endif
    >
    > This is definitly the wrong interface for whatever you want to do.

    Do you know what I want to do?

    Frankly, I actually agree. I'd rather use vt_console_print and gotoxy
    directly to do the display of information that doesn't need to clutter
    the logs, but when I first submitted code for doing that, people
    suggested using /dev/console instead. That makes using these syscalls
    necessary.

    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(proc_match);
    >
    > Also nothing anything outside of procfs internals should do.

    This was because, following the "use files" methodology above, I have to
    be able to find the file I want to use (/proc/splash) even when /proc
    isn't mounted yet. I'll happily just call splash_write_proc.

    > > unsigned long avenrun[3];
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(avenrun);
    >
    > Nothing you should poke into.

    Mmm. Commented on this elsewhere. Perhaps rather than saving and
    restoring the values, I should inhibit them being updated? If the BIOS
    was doing the suspending/resuming, we wouldn't object to them not being
    updated. Does that sound like a better solution? (Remember the aim was
    avoid making sendmail etc refuse to work for a while because the load
    average is too high).

    > > +/* Exported for Software Suspend 2 */
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(nr_free_highpages);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(pgdat_list);
    >
    > Dito.

    Used for preparing the image.

    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(swap_free);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(swap_info);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(sys_swapoff);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(sys_swapon);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(si_swapinfo);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(map_swap_page);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(get_swap_page);
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(get_swap_info_struct);
    >
    > Dito. Lowlevel swapdevice access isn't something modules should poke
    > into.

    It is if they're writing to swap.

    > Nigel, why do I have this strange feeling that exactly the same patch
    > was rejected already but you resubmitted it again?

    Not exactly the same but yes, substantially. I listened then to the
    comments and applied changes. I'm listening now. Unfortunately, though,
    you just reject things outright without even discussing why they're
    there or whether there's a better way I might not have thought of. I
    freely admit that I'm not the world's greatest Linux guru; that's part
    of why I'm submitting these patches now for review. Could you please try
    to be more helpful? I'll promise to be receptive!

    > If you want anything merged drop the modular swsusp bits, I doubt it'll
    > ever be merged.

    Aside from other advantages (quicker development etc), the modular bits
    allow you to free about 150k (debugging compiled in) when you're not
    suspending. I thought that was well worth the little bit of extra code.

    Regards,

    Nigel
    --
    Nigel Cunningham
    Pastoral Worker

    You see, at just the right time, when we were still powerless, Christ
    died for the ungodly. -- Romans 5:6

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.026 / U:148.668 seconds]