    SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm2-V0.7.30-9
    On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 04:45 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > * Lee Revell <> wrote:

    > > The symptom is that CPU bound tasks like kernel compiles will starve
    > > I/O bound tasks like evolution for a _long_ time. If I have a kernel
    > > build and external modules building at the same time and Evolution
    > > goes to "Update message list...", it can sit and spin with a blank
    > > message pane for a minute or two. If I suspend the builds, the
    > > message list renders immediately.
    > could you try the vanilla -rc2-mm2 kernel (with PREEMPT enabled), does
    > it behave in such a way too? At first sight this could be a property of
    > the upstream scheduler, but maybe it's special to PREEMPT_RT.

    Have you notice this behavior with other interactive (I/O) tasks, such
    as bash. Evolution is quite a big utility, and might be doing something
    in the background. If you see the same behavior with bash then there is
    no doubt that the compile is slowing down an I/O intensive task.

    Another variable can be memory. Are you running this on something with
    adequate memory, or is you harddrive churning like mad and you're
    constantly thrashing the swap space?

    -- Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.019 / U:13.004 seconds]