SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.10-rc2-mm2-V0.7.30-9
On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 04:45 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Lee Revell <> wrote:

> > The symptom is that CPU bound tasks like kernel compiles will starve
> > I/O bound tasks like evolution for a _long_ time. If I have a kernel
> > build and external modules building at the same time and Evolution
> > goes to "Update message list...", it can sit and spin with a blank
> > message pane for a minute or two. If I suspend the builds, the
> > message list renders immediately.
> could you try the vanilla -rc2-mm2 kernel (with PREEMPT enabled), does
> it behave in such a way too? At first sight this could be a property of
> the upstream scheduler, but maybe it's special to PREEMPT_RT.

Have you notice this behavior with other interactive (I/O) tasks, such
as bash. Evolution is quite a big utility, and might be doing something
in the background. If you see the same behavior with bash then there is
no doubt that the compile is slowing down an I/O intensive task.

Another variable can be memory. Are you running this on something with
adequate memory, or is you harddrive churning like mad and you're
constantly thrashing the swap space?

-- Steve