    SubjectRe: sparse segfaults
    On 22 Nov 2004, Duncan Sands mused:
    > Generalized lvalues have been removed. Check out

    There is talk of putting a subset of them back again, because a *lot* of
    code does things like

    ((foo_t *)foo)++;

    and the generalized lvalues extension makes that work as expected. Yes,
    all such code is technically broken, but a large number of non-GCC
    compilers also implement the extension enough for the construct above to
    be valid.

    Where it's really bad is in C++, where it can change the semantics of
    some otherwise-valid code (due to the way it interacts with function
    overloading). The whole generalized lvalues extension is definitely not
    coming back, because fixing that C++ bug was a major reason why it was
    removed in the first place.

    `The sword we forged has turned upon us
    Only now, at the end of all things do we see
    The lamp-bearer dies; only the lamp burns on.'

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.070 / U:153.568 seconds]