SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc2 doesn't boot (if no floppy device)

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Len Brown wrote:

> > And not doing it breaks systems.
>
> I'm not aware (yet) of any systems where disabling all the links (which
> we've been doing since June, BTW)

We have been doing it since June, but we also immediately _re-enabled_
them.

And the moment we _didn't_ re-enable them, people started sending in
bug-reports. So the "since June" is clearly true only in a very limited
sense.

A more correct way to say it would be that within hours of releasing a
test-kernel (not even a real release) that _really_ disabled the links, we
got people reporting boot failures.

> and clearing the entire ELCR, and then re-enabling them both only as we
> use them causes a failure.

Now, the clearing the entire ELCR thing has been tested by all of three
people, all of whom saw problems with the non-clearing thing. So not only
is the base for that claim very thin indeed, the small base was totally
self-selected, ie statistically completely meaningless even if it had
been much much larger.

Nobody who didn't actually see the problem in the first place would have
tested it.

IOW, I'll claim that the only thing that has really gotten testing since
June is the thing that disables and immediately re-enables the links.

And that's exactly why I think the "minimally disruptive" fix is to not
disable them at all, but just fix up ELCR for anything that was already
enabled. Since that _is_ what "disable + re-enable" ends up actually
doing.

See my argument?

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.661 / U:0.240 seconds]