    SubjectRe: 2.6.10-rc2 doesn't boot (if no floppy device)

    On Mon, 22 Nov 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > This is exactly what you are already doing with SCI, thanks to
    > "acpi_pic_sci_set_trigger()", no?
    > So I'm really suggesting that instead of disabling the PCI irq routing, it
    > should do exactly the same thing that SCI already does. Namely make sure
    > that ELCR is set correctly for it.

    In fact, we would even use the same function for it (the only thing that
    makes it SCI-specific right now is the "printk()" that says "SCI IRQ", the
    rest really is totally generic.

    So how about renaming "acpi_pic_sci_set_trigger()" to not have the "sci"
    part in there, and remove it's dependence on CONFIG_ACPI_BUS, and just
    using it in "apic_pci_link_add()" to make sure that any PCI links we find
    to be enabled have the right ELCR. That's _logical_, since if we were to
    actually enable them, we'd set ELCR right. So literally the only
    difference between disabling them at boot (and then re-enabling them when
    a driver finds them) _is_ that ELCR setting..

    And that would make me much happier, because it's a "minimally intrusive"
    thing to do.

      Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.024 / U:1.000 seconds]