SubjectRe: sparse segfaults
>For example, the "nested function" thing makes something as simple as a
>missing end brace cause the error reporting to be totally off, when gcc

Oh yeah I've experienced that myself (and ever since, fear nested functions).
The compiler generates like "nested_function.0" for a nested function entitled
"nested_function". So far so good, but GDB does not now "nested_function.0",
even if it is a valid symbol according to `nm`. Sigh.

>Same goes for the "extended lvalues". They are not only insane, but they
>mean that code like
> (0,i) = 1;
>extension - does anybody actually admit to ever _using_ comma- expressions
>for assignments?)

Not in C, at least. And neither in C++. (Only Perl if you ask, but that has
vastly different semantics for "($thing,$anoterthing)".)

I totally agree that some extensions are like superfluous. Some may say "nice
to have", but go make a survey and ask how many users use them. Bet zero on
the average? ;)

Jan Engelhardt
--
Gesellschaft für Wissenschaftliche Datenverarbeitung
Am Fassberg, 37077 Göttingen, www.gwdg.de