    SubjectRe: [2.6 patch] remove obsolete Computone MAINTAINERS entry (fwd)
    Adrian Bunk wrote:
    > On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 07:47:35PM -0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
    >
    >>Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm not sure whether it makes sense to list the previous maintainers for
    >>> orphaned code, but if such entries contain buouncing mail addresses it's
    >>> IMHO time to simply remove them.

    >>> -M: Michael H. Warfield <mhw@wittsend.com>
    >>
    >>wittsend.com is still there and Michael still runs it.
    >

    > At least the listed mailing list is defunct:
    >
    > <linux-computone@lazuli.wittsend.com>:
    > Sorry, I wasn't able to establish an SMTP connection. (#4.4.1)
    > I'm not going to try again; this message has been in the queue too long.
    >

    > And to be honest, I don't see that much value in shiping entries in
    > MAINTAINERS for people who have reseigned as maintainers.
    >

    > cu
    > Adrian

    If someone is willing to step up to the plate and get the driver working again, it
    would be better to have the contact information for the old maintainer available
    in a centralized location. Plus, anyone who tries the driver and finds it busted
    can look in the MAINTAINERS file and find out that it's not being fixed, instead
    of it being one of those drivers that has no defined maintainer (I've run across a
    few).

    After all, we do have to be honest about unmaintained drivers - rather than hiding
    broken code. Honestly, it's better to define who's responsible for an area of
    code, even if it no longer works.

    My $0.02.

    Jim

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.086 / U:0.368 seconds]