    SubjectRe: XMMS (or some other audio player) 'hang' issues with intel8x0 and dmix plugin [u]
    On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 13:40 +0200, Jan Knutar wrote:
    > On Tuesday 02 November 2004 10:57, Christophe Saout wrote:
    > > I've tracked this down to what seems to be a bug in the libalsa dmix
    > > code with mmap emulation. If the sound output was stopped for some
    > > reason (stream paused or underrun) the library will accept more data
    > > until the buffer is full but never restart the output.
    > Strangely, I've observed these kinds of "Hangs" with bmp and mplayer,
    > without mmap mode enabled in either. Also using dmix as in the other
    > reports here. Could of course be some third application using alsa in
    > mmap mode, I suppose.
    > Unfortunately, I have no strace to offer right now as the bug is happening
    > randomly and I haven't been able to find any method by which to reproduce
    > it.
    > What's strange is that almost always when it happens, either mplayer or
    > beep-media-player will have an extra forked process. As bmp is threaded
    > and I shouldn't see more than one bmp in ps aux on NPTL, this seemed a
    > bit strange. Strace on the process that looked more recent makes it usually
    > wake up from deep sleep, and then it promptly vanishes after only a few syscalls.
    > The strace itself seems to wake it up... After the 'extra' process is gone,
    > sound output usually resumes, but not always. Other times strace only reveals
    > the app doing nanosleep's and nothing else, and the only solution is to kill
    > all apps that might've touched sound.

    I cannot say that I have seen this. It always just resumes fine if I
    click on play again, and I cannot remember it having an extra process.
    But then I mostly tried it with mmap enabled (as without it also had
    this issue), so I will have a look without mmap, and report if similar
    issues happens this side.

    Martin Schlemmer

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.033 / U:14.392 seconds]