    SubjectRe: [patch 1] Xen core patch : ptep_establish_new
    > On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 11:46:50PM +0000, Ian Pratt wrote:
    > >
    > > This patch adds 'ptep_establish_new', in keeping with the
    > > existing 'ptep_establish', but for use where a mapping is being
    > > established where there was previously none present. This
    > > function is useful (rather than just using set_pte) because
    > > having the virtual address available enables a very important
    > > optimisation for arch-xen. We introduce
    > > HAVE_ARCH_PTEP_ESTABLISH_NEW and define a generic implementation
    > > in asm-generic/pgtable.h, following the pattern of the existing
    > > ptep_establish.
    >
    > What would be the problem of always passing the virtual address to
    > ptep_establish? We already have a rather twisted maze of pte manipulation
    > macros.

    ptep_establish already takes a virtual address. Perhaps you mean
    'set_pte'? That would work, but is a much bigger change that
    would impact all architectures. I think introducing
    ptep_establish_new is cleaner.

    Ian

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.029 / U:33.116 seconds]