    SubjectXen 2.0 VMM patches

    The Xen team would like to start submitting upstream the patches
    required to enable Linux to run over the Xen 2.0 Virtual Machine
    Monitor. For more information about Xen see:

    There are three main classes of patch required:
    core : small patches that provide extra hooks for arch-xen
    arch-xen : large patch to add arch/xen and include/asm-xen
    xen-drivers : patch to add virtual block, network and console drivers

    We're proposing to submit the 'core' patches first, as these
    probably require closest inspection (the others are all new
    files in new directories, so can't break existing architectures).

    There is already a significant user base and lively developer
    community backing the Xen project, so we're confident we will
    have the resources to maintain arch-xen on Linux 2.6 going
    forward (as well as Linux 2.4/NetBSD/FreeBSD/etc).

    Let us know what you think of the patches ;-)

    Ian, Keir, Christian, Steve

    Original Xen 2.0 release annoucement:

    The Xen team are pleased to announce the release of Xen 2.0, the
    open-source Virtual Machine Monitor. Xen enables you to run
    multiple operating systems images concurrently on the same
    hardware, securely partitioning the resources of the machine
    between them. Xen uses a technique called 'para-virtualization'
    to achieve very low performance overhead -- typically just a few
    percent relative to native. This new release provides kernel
    support for Linux 2.4.27/2.6.9, NetBSD and FreeBSD.

    Xen 2.0 runs on almost the entire set of modern x86 hardware
    supported by Linux, and is easy to 'drop-in' to an existing Linux
    installation. The new release has a lot more flexibility in how
    guest OS virtual I/O devices are configured. For example, you can
    configure arbitrary firewalling, bridging and routing of guest
    virtual network interfaces, and use copy-on-write LVM volumes or
    loopback files for storing guest OS disk images. Another new
    feature is 'live migration', which allows running OS images to be
    moved between nodes in a cluster without having to stop
    them. Visit for downloads and documentation.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.026 / U:15.004 seconds]