SubjectRe: [patch, 2.6.10-rc2] sched: fix ->nr_uninterruptible handling bugs
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> PREEMPT_RT on SMP systems triggered weird (very high) load average
> values rather easily, which turned out to be a mainline kernel
> ->nr_uninterruptible handling bug in try_to_wake_up().
>
> the following code:
>
> if (old_state == TASK_UNINTERRUPTIBLE) {
> old_rq->nr_uninterruptible--;
>
> potentially executes with old_rq potentially being != rq, and hence
> updating ->nr_uninterruptible without the lock held. Given a
> sufficiently concurrent preemption workload the count can get out of
> whack and updates might get lost, permanently skewing the global count.
> Nothing except the load-average uses nr_uninterruptible() so this
> condition can go unnoticed quite easily.

Hi Ingo,
Yes you're right.

I have another idea. Revert back to the old code, then just transfer
the nr_uninterruptible count when migrating a task. That way, the
rq's nr_uninterruptible field always is a measure of the number of
uninterruptible tasks on it. What do you think?

Nick

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.141 / U:0.472 seconds]