    SubjectRe: 2.4.27 suddenly hangs
    Simon Braunschmidt wrote:

    > I have a similar problem at the moment, i have setup my box with
    > gentoo and now i get hardlocks from time to time (time < 1.5 days),
    > happens with and without x, kernel 2.4.27 untainted, with apic on and
    > off, acpi on and off, apm on and off...
    > @zergio: Can you tell me if it only happened with 2.4.27?

    No, it had happened with 2.4.20 kernel.

    > The system is really stuck when it crashes. My wireless keyboard has a
    > led to indicate traffic, an when system hangs, not even the led would
    > blink, it just stays in either on or off state (its normaly off). No
    > disk activity, mouse is locked, display remains unchanged ( nv or
    > plain (non-fbdev) console). Havent tried so far to reach the box over
    > network, but is suspect it will not work.
    > @developers:
    > Maybe thats a hint, could it be that a broken keyboard induces such
    > behaviour?
    > Im going to change kernel to 2.4.24 (had uptimes > 14 days with it)
    > and see if it helps.
    > As far as i can see, nothing was written to the logs, no messages, it
    > just peacefully dies...

    In my case it has happened with and without keyboard and with keyboard
    connected to D-Link KVM Switch

    > zergio schrieb:
    >> Hello, all!
    >> I‘m not sure that the below problem is kernel related, however, I
    >> think, this mailing list is the best place to start. I've got 2x1.8
    >> Xeon on Intel SE7500CW2 motherboard with Intel SCSI RAID (GDT
    >> driver). The system powered by Red Hat Linux 7.3 with custom kernel
    >> version 2.4.27.
    >> Occasionally, the system just hangs, without giving any error messages
    > how long is occasionaly?

    There is no strict period of time. Some time server up for couple of
    month. Recently the issue occured twice within 7 days.
    It've happened 7 time during last half a year or so.

    >> to syslog or any panic-like messages to the screen. No response to
    >> ping. Usually it happens on weekends in early hours, but not at
    >> particular time and day, when users’ activity is minimal. Couple of
    >> times the last few messages before, the hang had strange timestamps.
    >> It seems like the system time entered a TIME LOOP within a period of
    >> 1 second.
    >> Nov 6 05:37:31 service dhcpd: Message...
    >> Nov 6 05:37:32 service named: Message...
    >> Nov 6 05:37:31 service named: Message...
    >> Almost all the time last messages came from different services,
    >> except three times, when mgetty was the last. I'd updated mgetty,
    >> pppd, kernel (from 2.4.20), BIOS, dhcpd etc., however, the problem
    >> remains.
    >> Can anyone tell me, how I can detect, what application or hardware
    >> cause such a problem.
    >> Any ideas would be appreciated.
    >> Thank you in advance
    >> These are services being run on the server:
    >> gpm
    >> named
    >> iptables
    >> crond
    >> ldap
    >> smb
    >> xinetd (swat amanda)
    >> autofs
    >> nfs
    >> qmail
    >> sqwebmail
    >> dhcpd
    >> ups
    >> sshd
    >> firebird
    >> ntpd
    >> httpd
    >> arpwatch
    >> drwebd
    >> mgetty
    >> pppd
    >> postgresql
    >> -
    >> To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe
    >> linux-kernel" in
    >> the body of a message to
    >> More majordomo info at
    >> Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:08    [W:0.034 / U:11.936 seconds]