SubjectRe: Xen 2.0 Officially Released!
Ian Pratt wrote:
> The Xen team are pleased to announce the release of Xen 2.0, the
> open-source Virtual Machine Monitor. Xen enables you to run
> multiple operating systems images concurrently on the same
> hardware, securely partitioning the resources of the machine
> between them. Xen uses a technique called 'para-virtualization'
> to achieve very low performance overhead -- typically just a few
> percent relative to native. This new release provides kernel
> support for Linux 2.4.27/2.6.9 and NetBSD, with FreeBSD and Plan9
> to follow in the next few weeks.
>
> Xen 2.0 runs on almost the entire set of modern x86 hardware
> supported by Linux, and is easy to 'drop-in' to an existing Linux
> installation. The new release has a lot more flexibility in how
> guest OS virtual I/O devices are configured. For example, you can
> configure arbitrary firewalling, bridging and routing of guest
> virtual network interfaces, and use copy-on-write LVM volumes or
> loopback files for storing guest OS disk images. Another new
> feature is 'live migration', which allows running OS images to be
> moved between nodes in a cluster without having to stop
> them. Visit the Xen homepage for downloads and documentation.
>
> http://xen.sf.net

Looks like a fun thing to try on a new system as burn-in. I know openBSD
better than OpenBSD, but that's not an issue for playing. There's
another operating system I'd like to see supported, an obsolete old
thing based on PC-DOS... The encapsulation doesn't have to work all that
well, the original doesn't ;-)

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@tmr.com)