    SubjectRe: [Fwd: Re: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0.4]

    * Florian Schmidt <> wrote:

    > > i'm seeing some weird traces, which show rtc_wakeup doing this cycle:
    > >
    > > [~900 usecs pass]
    > >
    > > hardirq 8 comes in, wakes IRQ 8 thread
    > > IRQ 8 thread wakes up rtc_wakeup
    > >
    > > rtc_wakeup fast-thread returns from sys_read()
    > > rtc_wakeup fast-thread enters sys_poll() and returns immediately
    > > rtc_wakeup fast-thread enters sys_read() and blocks
    > weird. why could poll return immeaditly? Only when data should be
    > available right? Ahh, maybe there's less data available than which is
    > needed by read(). I suppose i need to check if enough data is
    > available. If not, repoll(), then generate the timestamp. Then read().
    > I had the impression that this small amount of data which rtc delivers
    > (4 bytes i think) would not be split into smaller parts.
    > It never occured to me that poll() could return with incomplete rtc
    > data available..

    this is how it works:

    static unsigned int rtc_poll(struct file *file, poll_table *wait)
    unsigned long l;

    if (rtc_has_irq == 0)
    return 0;

    poll_wait(file, &rtc_wait, wait);

    spin_lock_irq (&rtc_lock);
    l = rtc_irq_data;
    spin_unlock_irq (&rtc_lock);

    if (l != 0)
    return 0;

    it seems that it cannot return with incomplete data. rtc_has_irq is a
    boot-time-only thing - either the RTC can generate interrupts or it
    cannot. rtc_irq_data is updated atomically - either it's full with 4
    bytes or it's completely empty.

    safest would be to call the read() with O_NONBLOCK and figure out how
    often -EAGAIN happens? (O_NONBLOCK is honored by /dev/rtc.)

    but i could imagine that you could get into a 'wrong phase' if for
    whatever reason an RTC interrupt slips in before the poll()?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.023 / U:0.184 seconds]