    SubjectRe: [Announce] "iswraid" (ICH5R/ICH6R ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.28-pre3
    --- Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz <bzolnier@elka.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

    > I may sound like an ignorant but...
    >
    > Why can't device mapper be merged into 2.4 instead?

    "Instead" is the key word here... That would mean that
    Boji's and my work has been largely in vain and that the
    driver that to my best knowledge currently provides the
    simplest (from a user's point of view) cooperation with
    Intel RAID OROM and the most comlete feature-set regarding
    Intel RAID metadata interpretation and updates would not
    make it to the kernel. I have nothing against device mapper
    being merged into 2.4 but I don't consider that a fair
    reason for not considering iswraid.

    > Is there something wrong with 2.4 device mapper patch?

    I don't think so. However, I do believe that iswraid has
    some advantages, one of them being the ability to just link
    it statically with the rest of the kernel and not needing
    any user-space support code, i.e., initrd is not necessary.
    Also, I do not believe that dm+dmraid are currently
    capable of updating the Intel RAID metadata in case of
    errors. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

    > It would more convenient (same driver for 2.4 and 2.6)
    > and would benefit users of other software RAIDs
    > (easier transition to 2.6).

    If you expect the transitioning from ataraid to dm+dmraid
    to be so hard that it is best to do it separately from
    the switch to a 2.6 kernel, then I think 2 things are true:
    1) there might be something positive about the simple
    usage of ataraid subdrivers,
    2) the users of Intel RAID metadata might benefit by
    having two drivers supporting them in 2.4 kernels---the
    one with the "simple, ataraid-style" usage and "the one
    for the future".

    My email archive and the feedback on iswraid's project
    page actually contains many requests for an iswraid port
    to 2.6. Which I'm reading as a sign that some users
    actually like it.

    The main features of iswraid are listed in
    Documentation/iswraid.txt, almost at the top of the file.
    I believe that several of them distingiush it from
    other ataraid subdrivers in a positive way, and there
    was certainly a lot of hard work that went into this driver.
    I don't know how dm+dmraid would compare, but if you do,
    I'll be most interested to learn about it.

    Martins Krikis
    Storage Components Division
    Intel Massachusetts

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:30.044 seconds]