SubjectRe: [openib-general] InfiniBand incompatible with the Linux kernel?
The increase in cost for the spec is rather unfortunate but I think
it's orthogonal to any IP issues. Since the Linux kernel contains a
lot of code written to specs available only under NDA (and even
reverse-engineered code where specs are completely unavailable), I
don't think the expense should be an issue.

As for IP, as far as I know, there has been no change to any of the
bylaws or other members agreements. If there is some specific
provision that concerns you, please bring it to our attention -- the
IBTA in general and the IBTA steering committee in general have been
very supportive of the OpenIB effort. In fact, most of the IBTA
steering commitee companies (Agilent, HP, IBM, InfiniCon, Intel,
Mellanox, Sun, Topspin, and Voltaire) have been active participants in
OpenIB development. I would hope we can resolve any issues relating
to open source and the Linux kernel.

However, I would suspect that we'll find the USB, Firewire, Bluetooth,
etc., etc. standards bodies all have very similar IP language in their
bylaws and licenses.

Thanks,
Roland

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.085 / U:0.336 seconds]