    SubjectRe: how do you call userspace syscalls (e.g. sys_rename) from inside kernel
    On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:02:08AM -0400, Brian Gerst wrote:
    > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
    > >could someone kindly advise me on the location of some example code in
    > >the kernel which calls one of the userspace system calls from inside the
    > >kernel?
    > >
    > >alternatively if this has never been considered before, please could
    > >someone advise me as to how it might be achieved?
    > What are you trying to do?

    call sys_rename, sys_pread, sys_create, sys_mknod, sys_rmdir
    etc. - everything that does file access.

    > In most cases needing to use syscalls from
    > within the kernel is an indication of a design flaw.

    in this case it's an attempt to avoid cutting and pasting
    the entire contents of sys_rename, sys_pread, sys_this,
    sys_that, removing the first couple and last few lines (that
    do copy_from_user) and replacing the arguments with either
    a dentry or a kernel-side char* instead of an __user char*.

    my alternative is to patch every single vfs-related sys_* in fs/*.c to
    be able to "plug in" to these functions.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.023 / U:13.028 seconds]