SubjectRE: [BUG: multiple kernels] data corruption while reading from an USB2 connected HD
Hello Everyone,

I can confirm I am also experiencing problems with usb-storage on
usb 2.0 devices. I have two separate usb 2.0 drives, one with the oxford
911 usb/firewire chipset and another with a gensys chip. Anyhow, I tar
up my servers once a week and copy the bzipped tar to my usb hard drive.
I have found now that I cannot extract the tar.bz2 files due to crc
errors. When I run bzip2 -tvv on the original archive on the server, it
passes without failure. When I run the test (bzip2 -tvv) on the copy of
the archive on the usb 2.0 disks, it says they have crc errors. dmesg
does not show anything exciting besides the mounting/detection of the
drives. Please help!

Thanks to all of you for you hard work.

Emiliano Garcia

* /To/: linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org
<mailto:linux-kernel%40vger.kernel.org>
* /Subject/: [BUG: multiple kernels] data corruption while reading
from an USB2 connected HD
* /From/: Hajo Simons <simons@dc-systeme.de
<mailto:simons%40dc-systeme.de>>
* /Date/: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:06:06 +0200
* /Cc/: hsimons@gmx.de <mailto:hsimons%40gmx.de>
* /Organization/: dc-Systeme
* /Sender/: linux-kernel-owner@vger.kernel.org
<mailto:linux-kernel-owner%40vger.kernel.org>
* /User-agent/: KMail/1.7

usb-storage sporadically loses data while reading

In a data stream of 20M about 10 bytes get lost averagely while reading from a
HD connected via USB 2.0 which practically means that most files stored on
that HD show different md5 fingerprints if the IO read buffer was flushed
meanwhile.

keywords:
usb-storage, external Disk, USB 2.0, data corruption while reading

data get lost while reading on:
2.4.27
2.6.8.1
2.6.8-gentoo-r3
2.6.8-gentoo-r4 preemptive/non-preemptive
2.6.9-rc1

whereas no faults are seen on:
Windows XP SP1 (without specific drivers for that USB2 disk device)

system:
Barton 3.2 200
Asus A7N8XX (nforce2) FSB at 192MHz, CPU at FSB*11.5
(A7N8* or CPU (don't know) cannot run stable for over a week at 200MHz FSB)
1G 400MHz DDR RAM (tested) runnung at FSB Speed
2 IDE disks connected to the onboard nforce2 IDE controller
1 IDE disk USB2ish connected to ALi (ID 0402:5621 ALi Corp.) via onboard
nforce2 USB controller

test:
(UAHD: usb attached HD)
create a big file on a UAHD, say 20M
md5sum it
umount UAHD
remount it
md5sum that file again
chances are 50/50, that you get a different number
if md5sums are equal, repeat the procedure

( did the same test on that mentioned WinXP: everything ok;
and yes, I did unplug the device between the reads )

note:
system behaves rock-solid besides that issue
tried blk_queue_max_sectors(sdev->request_queue, 1) in
scsiglue.c:slave_configure() to no avail
tried PREEMPTIVE on/off, same

details:

snip

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.088 / U:0.024 seconds]