    SubjectRe: Default cache_hot_time value back to 10ms
    Andrew Morton wrote:

    > This tunable caused an 11% performance difference in (I assume) TPCx.
    > That's a big deal, and people will want to diddle it.

    True. But 2.5 I think really is too low (for anyone, except maybe a
    CPU with no/a tiny L2 cache).

    > If one number works optimally for all machines and workloads then fine.

    Yeah.. 10ms may bring up idle times a bit on other workloads. Judith
    had some database tests that were very sensitive to this - if 10ms is
    OK there, then I'd say it would be OK for most things.

    > But yes, avoiding a tunable would be nice, but we need a tunable to work
    > out whether we can avoid making it tunable ;)

    Heh. I think it would be good to have a automatic thingy to tune it.
    A smarter cache_decay_ticks calculation would suit.

    > Not that I'm soliciting patches or anything. I'll duck this one for now.

    OK. Any idea when 2.6.9 will be coming out? :)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.022 / U:9.148 seconds]