    SubjectRe: Default cache_hot_time value back to 10ms
    Nick Piggin <> wrote:
    > Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > "Chen, Kenneth W" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >>This value was default to 10ms before domain scheduler, why does domain
    > >> scheduler need to change it to 2.5ms? And on what bases does that decision
    > >> take place? We are proposing change that number back to 10ms.
    > >

    > > It sounds like this needs to be runtime tunable?
    > >
    > I'd say it is probably too low level to be a useful tunable (although
    > for testing I guess so... but then you could have *lots* of parameters
    > tunable).

    This tunable caused an 11% performance difference in (I assume) TPCx.
    That's a big deal, and people will want to diddle it.

    If one number works optimally for all machines and workloads then fine.

    But yes, avoiding a tunable would be nice, but we need a tunable to work
    out whether we can avoid making it tunable ;)

    Not that I'm soliciting patches or anything. I'll duck this one for now.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.020 / U:125.096 seconds]