    SubjectRe: UDP recvmsg blocks after select(), 2.6 bug?
    On Wed, Oct 06, 2004 at 04:52:27PM +0200, Joris van Rantwijk wrote:
    > Hello,
    > I have a problem where the sequence of events is as follows:
    > - application does select() on a UDP socket descriptor
    > - select returns success with descriptor ready for reading
    > - application does recvfrom() on this descriptor and this recvfrom()
    > blocks forever

    This can happen, and is fully to be expected. For a host of reasons the
    packet might not in fact appear. Whenever using select for non-blocking IO
    always set your sockets to non-blocking as well.

    One of the legitimate reasons is the reception of packets which, on copying,
    turn out to have a bad checksum.

    Stevens has a section on this, recommended reading.

    -- Open source, database driven DNS Software Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.021 / U:36.360 seconds]