SubjectRe: Cannot enable DMA on SATA drive (SCSI-libsata, VIA SATA)
Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> Eventually I can provide config. Btw, I'm using udev and kernel preemption.

I strongly recommend disabling kernel preemption. It is a hack that
hides bugs.

> ata1: dev 0 ATA, max UDMA/133, 240121728 sectors:
> ata1: dev 0 configured for UDMA/100
> and the same for ata2?

The controller maximum is set to UDMA/100.

> But taking in parallel top with refresh 1s in another window, during the
> 80
> seconds elapsed above, I had two freezes in top session: one of 20sec and
> another
> of 15 sec: about the half of the time of the total I/O operation!
> During this time there was one cpu used at about 30%, no other cpu constraints.
> I repeated the operation with similar behaviour. Sometimes also 50 contiguos
> secs
> of freeze, until I/O operation finished.
> The freeze is not about all system itself, but only certian things.
> For example I tried also a vmstat session in another window with 3secs of
> delay
> and it had no problems while top was blocked:

Make sure you have the latest BIOS update for your system, and latest
BIOS update for your card.

Jeff

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.094 / U:1.576 seconds]