SubjectRe: Linux-2.6.5-1.358 and Fedora
On Tue, 2004-10-05 at 21:15, Jesper Juhl wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Johnson, Richard wrote:

> Only do that if you are sure your systems bootloader configuration is able
> to deal with it. Maybe Fedora is configured so that "make install" can
> work, I wouldn't know I'm a Slackware user myself.

on Fedora, make install will do the bootloader thing automatically

> Could it be you accidentally installed your new modules in the same
> location as the old ones or that your initrd holds modules compiled for a
> different kernel than the one you just build - did you remember to update
> your initrd?

it can't be an accident; the kernel source that ship in Fedora have a
special "custom" added to the EXTRAVERSION to prevent accidents where
people who are learning and follow a kernel building howto overwrite the
"known good" kernel, but instead things get installed in a parallel dir
with a different EXTRAVERSION.

If Richard overwrote his modules anyway he must have hacked the Makefile
himself to deliberately cause this, at which point... well saw wind
harvest storm ;)

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:06    [W:0.061 / U:0.248 seconds]