SubjectRe: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]
Z Smith wrote:
> But not everyone can tolerate today's level of bloat.
>
> Imagine a small charity in a rural town in Bolivia or
> Colorado. They have no budget for computers and no one
> is offering donations.

Well, let me jump into this thread. I don't live in Bolivia or Colorado,
but I do live in Brazil.

The fastest computer that I have at my disposal is this one with a Duron
600MHz processor. My father uses a Pentium MMX 200MHz with 64MB of RAM.
Unfortunately, for financial reasons, I don't see we upgrading our
computers too soo.

It is nice to read Alan Cox saying that the Gnome team can make Gnome
use less memory in the future. I'm anxiously looking forward to that. In
the mean time, I will be using fluxbox and hoping that other parts of
the system (libraries etc) don't grow too fast for my computers.

I know plenty of people in the same situation that I am. Given the
choice of purchasing a book for my education or upgrading my computer, I
guess that I should spend money on the former.

And the same is true for many of my relatives and friends.

Rogério Brito.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php