    SubjectRe: [OT] Re: code bloat [was Re: Semaphore assembly-code bug]
    On Sat, 30 Oct 2004, Alan Cox wrote:

    > On Sul, 2004-10-31 at 00:20, Lee Revell wrote:
    > > I think very few application developers understand the point Linus made
    > > - that bigger code IS slower code due to cache misses. If this were
    > > widely understood we would be in pretty good shape.
    > On my laptop both Openoffice and gnome are measurably faster if you
    > build the lot with -Os (except a couple of image libs)

    Depends how much of gnome you use. I used to swear by -Os for
    non-toolchain stuff, but in the end I got bitten by gnumeric on x86. is similar, but in my case
    opening *any* spreadsheet would cause gnumeric to segfault (gcc-3.3
    series). Add in the time spent rebuilding gnome before I found this bug
    report, and adding extra parts of gnome just in case I missed something,
    and the time to load it is irrelevant. Since then I've had an anecdotal
    report that -Os is known to cause problems with gnome. I s'pose people
    will say it serves me right for doing my initial testing on ppc which
    didn't have this problem ;) The point is that -Os is *much* less tested
    than -O2 at the moment.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.022 / U:96.228 seconds]