    > o one thread on one large volume using buffered I/O + filesystem
    > read (1 thread, one volume, 131072 blocks/request) avg: ~931 MB/s
    > write (1 thread, one volume, 131072 blocks/request) avg: ~908 MB/s
    > I'm intentionally issuing very large reads and writes here to take advantage
    > of the striping, but it looks like both the readahead and regular buffered
    > I/O code will split the I/O into page sized chunks?

    No, the readahead code will assemble single BIOs up to the size of the
    readahead window. So the single-page-reads in do_generic_mapping_read()
    should never happen, because the pages are in cache from the readahead.

    > The call chain is pretty
    > long, but it looks to me like do_generic_mapping_read() will split the reads
    > up by page and issue them independently to the lower levels. In the direct
    > I/O case, up to 64 pages are issued at a time, which seems like it would help
    > throughput quite a bit. The profile seems to confirm this. Unfortunately I
    > didn't save the vmstat output for this run (and now the fc switch is
    > misbehaving so I have to fix that before I run again), but iirc the system
    > time was pretty high given that only one thread was issuing I/O.
    > So maybe a few things need to be done:
    > o set readahead to larger values by default for dm volumes at setup time
    > (the default was very small)

    Well possibly. dm has control of queue->backing_dev_info and is free to
    tune the queue's default readahead.

    > o maybe bypass readahead for very large requests?
    > if the process is doing a huge request, chances are that readahead won't
    > benefit it as much as a process doing small requests

    Maybe - but bear in mind that this is all pinned memory when the I/O is in
    flight, so some upper bound has to remain.

    > o not sure about writes yet, I haven't looked at that call chain much yet
    > Does any of this sound reasonable at all? What else could be done to make the
    > buffered I/O layer friendlier to large requests?

    I'm not sure that we know what's going on yet. I certainly don't. The
    above numbers look good, so what's the problem???

    Suggest you get geared up to monitor the BIOs going into submit_bio().
    Look at their bi_sector and bi_size. Make sure that buffered I/O is doing
    the right thing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.024 / U:4.260 seconds]