> Subject: Linux 2.6.9-rc4 - pls test (and no more patches)
> and the body was
> Ok,
> trying to make ready for the real 2.6.9 in a week or so, so please give
> this a beating, and if you have pending patches, please hold on to them
> for a bit longer, until after the 2.6.9 release. It would be good to have
> a 2.6.9 that doesn't need a dot-release immediately ;)
> The appended shortlog gives a pretty good idea of what has been going on.
> Mostly small stuff, with some architecture updates and an ACPI update
> thrown in for good measure.
> (plus the shortlog).
> Not exactly "hidden", was it?

To sum up, why don't you call everything before you reach this point
-pre and then when you decide to write the mail and realise you want
to say no more patches just check in patch calling it -rc ? you claim
you don't know when to diffrentiate between -pre and -rc, (or maybe
you don't care) well how do you decide to write the above e-mail? I
think that would satisfy nearly everyone and I don't see what would be
so different from your POV, but it is in the end up to you...

> So far, nobody has had a good reason. People are just complaining, because
> this is an area where you can complain without actually having any real
> hard technical input. It's "easy" to have an opinion.
> So guys, look at the big picture. Is this really worth worrying over?

There has been a fair bit of bike shedding going on... so I think we
should use some sort of timber and paint it red...