    SubjectRe: [uClibc] Re: [OT] Re: The naming wars continue...
    Dave Dodge <> writes:

    > On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 07:27:04PM +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
    >> Grzegorz Kulewski <> writes:
    >> > 5. I am thinking of changing directory structure (and some other
    >> > things) some more... For example placing every package in its own dir
    >> > - like /apps/gcc/3.4.2/<install date>/{bin,lib,...} and placing
    >> I've been placing things in /opt/package/version for quite a while.
    > That's essentially what the GoboLinux distribution does, except that
    > it does it for everything down to and including core stuff like "sh"
    > and "ls".
    >> I use a perl script to set the *PATH environment variables to point at
    >> whatever versions I choose for each package.
    > If you have enough things installed you might run into problems with
    > the size of PATH (perhaps unlikely on Linux, but I recall hitting
    > the limit on Solaris at one point).

    At my university they were running a locally hacked version of tcsh to
    increase the maximum size of PATH to allow a similar setup.

    > When I used to do this on Solaris, my most recent solution was to use
    > GNU stow to create symlinks from a single prefix to all of the
    > installed packages. Then I'd only need one additional entry in PATH,
    > MANPATH, and so on. stow made it easy enough to add and remove
    > packages, though there were trouble spots with duplicate files such as
    > the emacs info directory.

    The advantage with setting the environment variables directly is that
    it's easy to switch between different versions of any package without
    changing anything on disk, and I can have different version selected
    in different xterms. A symlink based scheme doesn't allow this.

    > If I recall correctly, in the GoboLinux case gcc 3.4.2 would be
    > installed in "/Programs/GCC/3.4.2/{bin,lib,...}". A symlink from
    > "/Programs/GCC/Current" to "3.4.2" would select that as the current
    > version. The Current trees are symlinked into a single prefix (like I
    > did with stow). Gobo has scripts to manage all of this. I believe
    > "/bin" is a symlink to the bin directory in the main install prefix,
    > but there are patches so that while "/bin" can be used for lookups it
    > does not appear when you list "/".

    If there's one thing I detest, it is such hiding of files. The GUI in
    MacOSX does such things too, even /tmp is hidden there. It's visible
    from a shell though. I won't even mention mswindows. If a file
    exists, it should be visible, period. The standard hiding of .dot
    files is perfectly good enough without any extra hacks.

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.024 / U:9.580 seconds]