SubjectRe: loopback on block device
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Lei Yang wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is a question for loopback device. As far as I understand, the loopback
> device is used to mount files as if they were block devices.
>
> Then Why I could do "losetup -e XOR /dev/loop0 /dev/ram0" ? Notice that ram0
> is not mounted anywhere and does not have a filesystem on it. I've tried that
> command and there seems to be no error. I got confused and looked into
> loop.c, it seems to me that a loopback device should be associated with a
> "backing file", why would it work on a block device anyway?
>
> I'd appreciate your comments greatly!
>
> TIA,
> Lei

`man losetup`
You just set up the loop device to enable encryption on
/dev/ram0. /dev/ram0 is a "file". It's a special-file,
but a file nevertheless. It can contain a file-system,
therefore act as a RAM disk, but it doesn't have to.

In principle, you could make an encrypted file-system
in which you couldn't even know what kind of file-
system it was, without an encryption key.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.9 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
Notice : All mail here is now cached and reviewed by John Ashcroft.
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.052 / U:3.036 seconds]