SubjectRe: [patch] Real-Time Preemption, -RT-2.6.9-mm1-V0
Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@elte.hu> wrote:
>

>>>Still problems with interactive behavior. Running KDE, with top
>>>running in xterm, scrolling through the menus I get some pauses. When
>>>the pauses occur I see kdeinit hit the top of the list and sometimes
>>>consuming 90% or more of a CPU and idle usage drops to 30-40%. I do
>>>see some latency traces (not really high ones) in the log that were
>>>generated by kdeinit but I think they were generated prior to when
>>>these pauses occurred, most likely when logging in.
>>
>>is this 90% or more CPU time system (kernel) overhead or userspace
>>overhead?

It appears that most of the time is being consumed in system (~50% vs.
~6%).

> another thing to watch for is the context-switch rate in vmstat. -V0.3
> patches include a hack that include involuntary context-switches (mutex
> context switches) in the context-switch stat as well. (previously those
> were reported in a separate field which vmstat didnt pick up.)
>
> So if the context-switch rate shots up to above say 100K/sec that is a
> sure sign of some mutex badness. The livelock scenarios i solved in
> -V0.3 occasionally generated a more than 500K/sec context-switch rate on
> a 2GHz box. Having just a couple of thousand per sec isnt by itself a
> sign of anything unusual.

As for the context-switch, I do see this jump up to ~10-11K/sec from
~4-5K/sec and I see this only when I trigger the pauses.

> Ingo

kr

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:1.211 / U:0.576 seconds]