    SubjectRe: My thoughts on the "new development model"
    Paolo Ciarrocchi <paolo.ciarrocchi@gmail.com> disait dernièrement que :

    >> To my mind, we only need to make clear that a stable kernel is a stable
    >> kernel.
    >> Not a kernel for experiments.
    >
    > 2.6 is not an experimental kernel. Not at all.

    clearly do I agree.

    >> To my mind, stock 2.6 kernels are nice for nerds trying patches and
    >> willing to recompile their kernel once a day. They are not suitable for
    >> servers. Several times on testing machines, switching from a 2.6 to the
    >> next one has caused bugs on PCI, acpi, networking and so on.
    >
    > I don't understand what you mean here.
    > Did you report these problems to lkml ?
    > It's the firts time I heard about this kind of problems.

    I will just add this:
    we, young students from all horizons here at the ENS Cachan, run a huge network
    (~900 hosts), with 4 important servers, all running 2.6. And my conclusion, as
    I cannot speak for my fellow colleagues but think most would agree, is that
    these servers behave *a* *lot* *better* since we switch. We had problems first
    but they were mostly due to the switch to Debian testing distribution (from
    old Woody).
    Also we have a 4-way (bi-Xeon with HT) running 2.6.7, playing proxy squid to
    serve our entire network, up since 131 days, with no problems; and the 2.6.x
    switch was more a blessing than a pain in the butt, since 2.4.x just let him
    play more and more in system time.... Thanks to sched domains and _real_ HT
    scheduling support.

    And these are production servers, no more no less.

    >> The direction is lost. How many patchsets for vanilla kernel exist?
    >
    > It was the same for 2.4. And that's not _BAD_, is _GOOD_.

    yup -mm, -ac existed in 2.4 series.
    and do not forget that -mm series are a stage for patches aiming mainline,
    not a special patchset among others.

    >> Someone has decided that linux must go on desktops as well and
    >> developing new magnificent features for desktop users is causing serious
    >> problems to the ones who use linux at work on production servers.
    >
    > Who ?

    Users decided, I guess :)

    >> 2.4 tree is still the best solution for production.

    I do not think so, I think it depends on the hardware you bear.

    >> 2.6 tree is great for gentoo users who like gcc consuming all CPU
    >> (maxumum respect to gentoo but I prefer debian)

    huh ? what's the point ????
    Our 2.6 servers run Debian testing with a little trouble.

    Best regards, and hurray for Linux 2.6 series !!

    Mathieu

    --
    "One of the great things about books is sometimes there are some fantastic
    pictures."

    George W. Bush
    January 3, 2000
    Quoted in U.S. News & World Report.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.053 / U:1.048 seconds]