    SubjectRe: The naming wars continue...
    Nick Piggin wrote:

    > Linus I agree it isn't a huge issue. The main thing for me is that
    > I could just give a _real_ release candidate more testing - run it
    > through some regression tests, make sure it functions OK on all my
    > computers, etc. I expect this would be helpful for people with large
    > sets of regression tests, and maybe those maintaining 'other'
    > architectures too.
    > I understand there's always "one more" patch to go in, but now that
    > we're doing this stable-development system, I think a week or two
    > weeks or even three weeks to stabalize the release with only
    > really-real-bugfixes can't be such a bad thing.
    > 2.6.x-rc (rc for Ridiculous Count) can then be our development
    > releases, and 2.6.x-rc (rc for Release Candidate) are then closer
    > to stable releases (in terms of getting patches in).
    > Optionally, you could change Ridiculous Count to PRErelease to avoid
    > confusion :)
    > Other than that I don't have much to complain about... so keep up the
    > good work!

    I do agree that the pre and rc names gave a strong hint that (-pre) new
    features would be considered or (-rc) it's worth doing more serious
    testing. If Linux doesn't like this any more, perhaps some other way to
    indicate the same thing would be desirable. I admit that the kernel has
    gotten so good that I only try -rc (by whatever name) kernel, I'm not
    waiting for the next big thing. I think that's really good, actually.

    -bill davidsen (

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.072 / U:0.136 seconds]