SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable? [u]
Salut,

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:19:07AM +0200, Martin Schlemmer [c] wrote:
> > (3) How do you feel about the choice of neglecting 3D performance as a
> > priority? How important is 3D performance? In what cases is it not?
>
> Yeah, I think it is important - just for decent performance in
> gnome/kde, you need a card with accel RENDER support, as well as XV/GL
> for video. Not to talk about those of us that are heavy gamers, or like
> me who like my ut2004/quake3/nvn once or twice a week.

OpenGL should be enough to get RENDER working. The rest may be based
on.

> The reality of the issue is just while I love my linux, I rather
> taint my kernel than crappy X performance or no gaming now and then.

The NVidia driver hangs my system after around 10 minutes, and if I
write additional media drivers and other things, I sometimes end up with

if (ptr)
ptr->blah(ptr);

failing with ptr being dereferenced as a NULL pointer, which shouldn't
happen as I just checked it.

To people developing the kernels, NVidia and other closed source
drivers are desasterous, as you can't seem to find out what the hell
they're doing, apart from graphics.

Tonnerre

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.353 / U:3.044 seconds]