SubjectRE: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
Date

Considering you can get a Spartan 2 300,000 gate chip on a board with SDRAM
etc for about $100... I'd say that's a very high estimate. Greg's pricing up
of about $300 sounds about right, and that's with 8 Spartan 3 chips on a
board.

> Now, the thing is, this card is SO generic that Tech Source
> would have
> very little value-add. Say we populate it with a bunch of Spartan 3
> 400's... well, you'd download Xilinx's WebPack, code up your
> design in
> Verilog (Do you want to learn chip design??? It's not like
> programming
> in C!!!), and then use our open source utility to upload your code.

I'm well aware that C programming doesn't translate to chip design skills.
I've been playing with Verilog on simulators for a while now and I'd love to
actually put it on some real FPGA hardware. There's plenty of people with
good chip design knowledge willing to provide Free source - just look at
opencores.org. I'm doing ALL of my Verilog toying with Free (properly)
software, and I think there's even a Free tool to interface to Xilinx FPGAs.

> GREAT... until some other company comes along and clones it,
> which would
> be WAY too easy to do. Now, for the users of this sort of
> product, it's
> a fine thing. But it becomes a pointless investment for Tech Source,
> which is where I work and who pays me to work on this stuff,
> which they wouldn't do if it's not worth it.

And what would stop them cloning a graphics card with completely Open specs?
That's always an issue no matter what you do.

- John Ripley

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.035 / U:0.232 seconds]