    SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.9-ac3
    On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 10:13:35AM +0200, Luca Risolia wrote:
    > > o Restore PWC driver (Luc Saillard)
    > This driver does decompression in kernel space, which is not
    > allowed. That part has to be removed from the driver before
    > asking for the inclusion in the mainline kernel.

    I know this problem, but without a user API like ALSA, each driver need to
    implement the decompression module. When the driver will support v4l2, we can
    return the compressed stream to the user land. I want a v4l3, which is
    designed as ALSA does for soundcard, with a API for userland and kernelland.
    In the meantime, i can put a module option, if the user want the
    decompression in the kernel mode.

    Just for your information, many other part in the kernel use
    decompression/compression like PPP, video, ... Have you look about the
    algorithm use in decompression ?, it's just a lookup table with some
    pre-calculated values. Ok you lost ~60Kbytes of kernel memory. I you look into
    the logitech windows drivers, you will a see a big fat library name openvc
    (apt-cache search opencv). I don't want to include all operations but if we
    haven't a good userland library, our webcam is useless on Linux.
    Please, if you can provide some help to put this in userland (provides
    patches for mplayer, xawtv, kame, gnomeeting, ...), i'll be glad to remove
    the offending code.

    The Open Computer Vision Library is a collection of algorithms and sample
    code for various computer vision problems. The library is compatible with
    IPL (Intel's Image Processing Library) and, if available, can use IPP
    (Intel's Integrated Performance Primitives) for better performance.
    OpenCV provides low level portable data types and operators, and a set
    of high level functionalities for video acquisition, image processing and
    analysis, structural analysis, motion analysis and object tracking, object
    recognition, camera calibration and 3D reconstruction.
    (taken from apt-cache show libopencv-doc)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.026 / U:117.240 seconds]