SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 22:00 -0400, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:

> I would think that a chip that has a lot of simple functions, but
> requires the OS to put them together to actually do something, would be
> great. This would be the UNIX mentality brought to hardware: lots of
> small components that get strung together in ways their creator(s) never
> imagined. If there can be a programmable side as well (other than
> re-burning the FPGA), that would be great.
>
> I guess I would look at this as an opportunity to make a "visual
> coprocessor", that also has the hardware necessary to output to a
> monitor (preferably multiple monitors).

this being an fpga, why not have various contents for it, such as all
the heavy lifters required for theora encoding, for instance,
so, you take 5 of those cards, and build a digital recorder that can
encode 4 tv shows in real time while viewing them at the same time,
you can sell the device for video surveillance, and so on...

Raphael

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.169 / U:0.020 seconds]