SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
On Thu, 2004-10-21 at 20:30, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> Most embedded customers care less about overall performance of the
> graphics hardware but more about low cost, low power and longevity. That
> is the reason that ATI committed to continue production of the Radeon
> Mobility M1 for many years to come. That is also the reason the Chips &
> Tech (now Asiliant) 6900 chipset is so popular for embedded customers,
> because they have been using the same hardware for years (but now that
> the 69000 is winding down, many are moving to the Mobility M1).

Also consider the Fujitsu Coral parts for embedded use:
http://www.fme.gsdc.de/gsdc.htm?macrofam/mb86295.htm

They have a large manual, though I can't vouch for completeness. They
have 3D and alpha blending. They don't have legacy VGA registers, and
they don't have a VGA BIOS. In an embedded system, that's a bonus.

This is the competition facing a new open source graphics chip in the
embedded segment.

- Adrian Cox
Humboldt Solutions Ltd.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.229 / U:3.952 seconds]