SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
Timothy Miller wrote:

> The reason this idea came up is because I, as a user of Linux, am often
> frustrated by the lack of open-source support for graphics cards which
> are not "pre-owned". Sure, SOME companies release specs so that we can
> develop open source drivers, but those cards tend to be prohibitively
> expensive, slower than their cheaper counterparts from ATI or nVidia,
> and they STILL don't document the internals of the BIOS so that the card
> can be ported to a non-x86 system.

What has this to do with the kernel? More relevant on X server, OpenGL or GPGPU lists?

Baseline - I can get accelerated 3D graphics and video overlay
and YV12 and VGA registers with open source driver that compiles
for PowerPC and DEC Alpha today for $85 - Radeon 7500 PCI.
X.org 'ati' driver at http://x.org
http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/ati/?root=xorg
If you can improve on that then I will buy one for each of my Alpha and PowerPC systems.

http://www.gpgpu.org/ are programming multivendor graphics cards for
general purpose computing BUT the toolchain involves a proprietary
compiler which is single platform.
What good is a card with open source hardware and open source
driver that is programmable BUT the toolchain is proprietary?

Stephen Lewis

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.033 / U:0.168 seconds]