SubjectRe: The naming wars continue...
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Ok,
> Linux-2.6.10-rc1 is out there for your pleasure.
>
> I thought long and hard about the name of this release (*), since one of
> the main complaints about 2.6.9 was the apparently release naming scheme.
>
> Should it be "-rc1"? Or "-pre1" to show it's not really considered release
> quality yet? Or should I make like a rocket scientist, and count _down_
> instead of up? Should I make names based on which day of the week the
> release happened? Questions, questions..
>
> And the fact is, I can't see the point. I'll just call it all "-rcX",
> because I (very obviously) have no clue where the cut-over-point from
> "pre" to "rc" is, or (even more painfully obviously) where it will become
> the final next release.
>
> So to not overtax my poor brain, I'll just call them all -rc releases, and
> hope that developers see them as a sign that there's been stuff merged,
> and we should start calming down and seeing to the merged patches being
> stable soon enough..
[...]
> Oh, and the _real_ name did actually change. It's not Zonked Quokka any
> more, that's so yesterday. Today we're Woozy Numbat! Get your order in!
>
> Linus
>
> (*) In other words, I had a beer and watched TV. Mmm... Donuts.

So change the naming to something like that:

linux-x.y.z.p

where

x = 2,
y = 6,
z = 1, 3, 5, ... => unstable - something like -rc or -rc-bk
z = 0, 2, 4, ... => stable
p - optional as with 2.6.8.1 - added to stable release when you need to
correct some very stupid and very important bug,
added to unstable release - meaning new snapshot

So there will be:
2.6.10 (possibly 2.6.10.1, ... if 2.6.10 will be broken)
2.6.11.0
2.6.11.1
2.6.11.2
2.6.12

In this scheme you can not mark that you are going to release "stable"
version quickly, but I do not think we need it. Or if you feel it is
needed then start numbering p from 90, 91, ... 100, 101, ... for really
near to stable -rcs.

Grzegorz Kulewski

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.246 / U:0.048 seconds]