SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, J.A. Magallon wrote:
> So, as I see it, for an appealing 2D card, you need to program a 2 1/2
> graphics engine, with really _fast_ alpha blending and antialiasing.
> You can only kill the matrix part. I do not know if you will be able to
> get rid completely of floating point, for those alpha mixes and assorted
> candy...

Alpha blending (and Porter-Duff operations in general) can easily be done in
integer. You do want to read Rasterman's excellent comments in the Imlib2
sources, though.

Been there, done that... (for a STB without FPU and without hardware blending)

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds