SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

Chris Friesen wrote:
> Timothy Miller wrote:
>
>> Anyhow, the reason for that long discussion is because I see chip
>> design and software programming as generally incompatible mindsets.
>> Sure, one can certainly help you to learn the other, but many
>> methodologies that apply to one would be horrible to apply to the other.
>

> Hmm...I've got a buddy doing a Master's in codesign, where you literally
> design the chip and the software to run on it at the same time, so you
> can simulate them both at the same time and optimise which bits you do
> in hardware and which in software.
>
> Seems to me that chip design and software programming (at least for
> low-level high-performance stuff) are tightly intertwined.
>
> Of course there's the other side of things where you write in prolog or
> lisp and are totally abstracted from the hardware--but I don't see too
> many people writing e.g. graphics drivers in those languages.

Oh, they are intertwined, alright. They just require different mindsets
to do either of then WELL. I'm sure your friend is equally adept at
both mindsets, so that isn't an issue.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.058 / U:4.972 seconds]