SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
Timothy Miller wrote:

> Anyhow, the reason for that long discussion is because I see chip design
> and software programming as generally incompatible mindsets. Sure, one
> can certainly help you to learn the other, but many methodologies that
> apply to one would be horrible to apply to the other.

Hmm...I've got a buddy doing a Master's in codesign, where you literally design
the chip and the software to run on it at the same time, so you can simulate
them both at the same time and optimise which bits you do in hardware and which
in software.

Seems to me that chip design and software programming (at least for low-level
high-performance stuff) are tightly intertwined.

Of course there's the other side of things where you write in prolog or lisp and
are totally abstracted from the hardware--but I don't see too many people
writing e.g. graphics drivers in those languages.

Chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.068 / U:1.416 seconds]