    SubjectRE: Hugepages demand paging V1 [3/4]: Overcommit handling
    Date
    Andrew Morton wrote on Friday, October 22, 2004 3:28 AM
    > Christoph Lameter <clameter@sgi.com> wrote:
    > >
    > > * overcommit handling
    >
    > What does this do, and why do we want it?

    The name of "overcommit" is definitely misleading. It means the
    opposite. Since physical hugetlb backing page pool is fixed and
    controlled by sys admin, the fault handler can not allocate free
    pages when hugetlb page pool exhaust because of user over commits
    hugetlb page. Thus we enforce strict accounting upfront to
    guarantee that there will be hugetlb page available at fault time.

    The down side of not having it is we SIGBUS if the kernel doesn't
    have any free hugetlb pages left.

    - Ken

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.020 / U:61.300 seconds]