SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?

Jon Smirl wrote:
> An experimental feature I've heard being proposed is to generate font
> bitmaps dynamically on the card. The idea is to load the TrueType
> glyphs onto the card and then generate a temp bitmap when you know
> exactly the size/subpixel alignment that you need. Implementing this
> probably means you need 3D FP transform units. This is just an
> experiment proposal, no one has built it yet so no one knows if it is
> going to work very well. It might be an opportunity to try for some
> patents.

I would expect glyphs to be rendered into bitmaps on-demand and cached.
I would expect the cache to have such a HIGH hit rate that it's not
worth dedicating hardware to the relatively infrequent event of
rasterizing a glyph.

Now, providing the means to efficiently use those cached bitmaps, on the
other hand, is definately worth the effort.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:0.193 / U:32.920 seconds]