    SubjectRe: HARDWARE: Open-Source-Friendly Graphics Cards -- Viable?
    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:

    > David Lang wrote:
    >> On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Timothy Miller wrote:
    >>
    >> since nobody has done this yet (for video cards anyeay) there is no proof
    >> one way or the other.
    >
    > Well, if Tech Source management decides that this project isn't worth the
    > effort, you'll have a small piece of circumstantial evidence that leans
    > toward "it's not viable". I personally want to find a way to make it work.
    >
    > To the open source community, this is a golden opportunity to directly
    > influence the design of a piece of hardware which fits their ideals. For me
    > personally, this is a golden opportunity to work on a project from which I'll
    > derive an immense amount of enjoyment. For both accounts, I'm desperate to
    > find a way to make it work. :)

    Tim, in this case you are not just testing the openess idea, you are also
    testing the low-volume, high-cost, but flexible idea. and that idea has
    never had a large market

    you are in something of a catch-22 here. due to the risk you can only do
    things with a relativly small initial investment, but with a larger
    initial investment you could make much cheaper (and therefor much more
    popular) cards. where's a billionare looking to Do Good Things (TM) when
    you need one ;-)

    David Lang

    -- C.A.R. Hoare

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:07    [W:6.974 / U:0.008 seconds]